25 Book Reviews

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

A FANTASTIC Book !! Prince Edward Island is the PERFECT setting!!

           "The Red Door Inn"
               By Liz Johnson

As this author was new to me, I had no idea what to expect when I agreed to review this book. I am always a bit apprehensive when encountering the unknown, but I must say that I had a VERY pleasant experience awaiting me! First of all, the cover was extremely attractive. You immediately want to dig into this story! Secondly, as I live in Canada, a  tale taking place in PEI, the most gorgeous island, grabbed my attention!! I certainly had no disappointments when reading this novel! It simply took my breath away!!

Synopsis: Marie Carrington is running from a host of bad memories. Broke and desperate, she's hoping to find safety and sanctuary on Prince Edward Island, where she reluctantly agrees to help decorate a renovated bed-and-breakfast before it opens for prime tourist season.

Seth Sloane didn't move three thousand miles to work on his uncle's B&B so he could babysit a woman with a taste for expensive antiques and a bewildering habit of jumping every time he brushes past her. He came to help restore the old Victorian--and to forget about the fiancée who broke his heart.

The only thing Marie and Seth agree on is that getting the Red Door Inn ready to open in just three months will take everything they've got. Can these two wounded souls find hope, healing, and perhaps a bit of romance on this beautiful island?

Step into the Red Door Inn, a lovely home away from home tucked along the north shore of fabled Prince Edward Island. It's a place where the wounded come to heal, the broken find forgiveness, and the lonely find a family. Won't you stay for the season?

My Thoughts: 

"Step into the Red Door Inn, a lovely home away from home tucked along the fabled north shore of Prince Edward Island. It’s a place where the wounded come to heal, the broken find forgiveness, and the lonely find a family. Won’t you stay for the season?" ~ author Liz Johnson

The setting of this story is described in such vivid detail that you at once feel that you are on this beautiful island, the home of the famous book, "Ann of Green Gables". What a perfect place for a new Bed and Breakfast. My greatest wish was that I could be there alongside the characters to sit by the water and dream. 

This book has a strong theme of redemption and  a quest to find healing, throughout the tale . It is a story of people who have had their lives disrupted and devastated, and are now desperate for a safe place to call their own. Breaking down the protective wall that each has built around them  is not easy to break down . Trust is a huge issue. The characters are described in a detailed, realistic fashion such that you immediately identify with them. You are no longer just a reader, you become part of these individuals' lives , feeling their every hurt, challenge and yes, even their despair. They became my dear friends who I wanted to reach out and extend my  love to. All of them are attempting to  escape a wounded past.Their hurts become your's. These dear ones strive to find hope and contentment. The road is not without its bumps!

The plot is well developed with just enough twists and turns to keep the reader glued to the page. My attention was grabbed in the first chapter and the world passed me by as I read this story filled with trials. God can deal with a wounded past but only if we allow Him to carry out his plan. He is able to  bring restoration and life of joy but the path to do so is a hard one. 

This book is the first in a new series, "Prince Edward Island Dreams". I will be eagerly awaiting the next book!! I could feel the ocean breezes as I sat and read this tale.  

Definitely a five star book!! I highly recommend it. 


This book was supplied by Revell  and Graff Martin Communications in exchange for a fair and honest review. Now available from your local bookseller.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Fantastic Read by One of My Favorite Authors, Vannetta Chapman!

An Amish Proposal for Christmas  By Vannetta Chapman Synopsis: Her deepest Christmas wish will bring more than she imagined…in this novel by...