25 Book Reviews

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

The title grabs your attention immediately!

"Flirtation Walk"
  By Siri Mitchell

How can you help but be attracted to this title and beautiful cover??? Sounds and looks so romantic! What the reader doesn't realize, is that there are deep thoughts and feelings involved in very complicated situations to solve , in order for the romance to go forth!!


Synopsis: 

Trying to escape the shambles her con-man father has made of their reputation, Lucinda Curtis arrives in West Point, New York, determined to land a husband from the military academy. Campbell Conklin is first in his class and preparing to embark upon a storied career in the U.S. Army. Lucinda thinks Campbell will make the perfect husband . . . as long as he does not find out about her father.

Seth Westcott also has taken a liking to Lucinda. He's kind, smart . . . and working extremely hard to graduate last. Tradition states that the worst cadets are assigned to the cavalry out west. And west is where Seth must head to track the swindler who stole all of Seth's mother's money. Seth is smart enough to vie for the top spot, but life isn't fair and this is his chance to catch the man who ruined his family. It's too bad Campbell is all shine and no substance, but Lucinda will surely see through all of that, won't she??

My Thoughts: 
I must say, as a reviewer, I often don't choose to review historical fiction or romance novels, as they just aren't my "cup of tea". I know how much other readers love them, but as I often say, it is good for the authors that not all of us have the same tastes in books!! However, having said that, Siri Mitchell has won me over!! I thoroughly enjoyed this book!! I was very impressed with Siri's vivid imagination  and her ability to develop her characters that are unique, somewhat quirky and thoroughly likeable. Lucinda, the main character, was easy with whom to identify. She was having such a struggle with her past and her present challenges, making her future appear very bleak. Seth is a character that puzzled me from beginning to the end of the book. He was handsome, kind, intelligent, but honestly did some very stupid things to solve problems. All of the characters were well and realistically described. I DID want to reach out and shake some sense into a few heads!!!

The plot moves steadily toward the goal of the book, to have Lucinda make peace with her past and look forward to the future. The tale is woven well with the historical elements of the time. Although light hearted at some moments, there are some serious, thought provoking events as well. I must admit that I did have some giggles along the way, at some of the unique situations created by the very interesting characters. 


I would give this book five stars. Not only a well written novel but one that entertains from beginning to end. 


This book was supplied by Bethany House  and Graf-Martin Communications in exchange for a fair and honest review. Now available from your local bookseller.












1 comment:

  1. I loved this book. The cover is just so pretty and as I was scrolling down the email to choose a book to review this cover "jumped off the page" so to speak. Phoebe was my favorite character and I thought the author did a wonderful job in describing her life as a blind person. I think for the first time I stopped to think about what it would be like to be blind and "be in everyone's way". I want to read more about Phoebe and will be actively searching for more books by this author.

    ReplyDelete

Another Fantastic Read by One of My Favorite Authors, Vannetta Chapman!

An Amish Proposal for Christmas  By Vannetta Chapman Synopsis: Her deepest Christmas wish will bring more than she imagined…in this novel by...