25 Book Reviews

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

A Bridal School Adventure!!

      "Refining Fire"
    By Tracie Peterson

Synopsis:
Twenty-two-year-old Militine Scott is in training at the Madison Bridal School in Seattle, yet she has no intention of pursuing marriage. What respectable man would have her? But she has found the school provides the perfect opportunity to keep her unsavory past hidden.

Thane Patton, though fun-loving and fiercely loyal to his friends, hides a dark secret, as well. He finds himself drawn to Militine, sensing that she harbors a haunting pain similar to his own.

Will they allow God to make something new and beautiful from the debris of their past?

My Thoughts:
I must admit that historical fiction is not one of my favorite genres, however Tracie's "Brides of Seattle " Series has won me over!! I was amazed at how much I enjoyed the first book, "Steadfast Heart" and this second novel was certainly no disappointment!! Although these books are the first two in a series, each could be read as a stand alone and enjoyed thoroughly. For me, it was a situation of revisiting the friends that I had encountered before. I felt as though I had moved back in time with them and was catching up on what I had missed.

The main characters, Militine and Thane, are realistically and described in such detail that they easily become part of your life. Each has quaint quirks that make them special in their own way. Their past has made them into who they are in the story, not all pleasant or easy. You can easily identify with them and feel their every challenge, worry, as well as successes. I found myself wanting to hug some of the characters and shake others!!

The plot moves quickly and is extremely well developed. There are unexpected twists and turns throughout the book, keeping one's eyes glued to the page. Life went on around me as I immersed myself in the rather strange setting of the Bridal School , with unusual characters encountering unusual situations.  I became part of this very different kind of life, sometimes smiling, other times, worrying about the outcome. Just think.... would your parents have sent you to a school to find you a husband???? Maybe they wished to at times, however, it is highly unlikely to have happened. 

This is a Five Star book!! I highly recommend it! 

This book was supplied by Bethany House and Graff Martin Communications in exchange for a fair and honest review. Now available from your local bookseller.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Fantastic Read by One of My Favorite Authors, Vannetta Chapman!

An Amish Proposal for Christmas  By Vannetta Chapman Synopsis: Her deepest Christmas wish will bring more than she imagined…in this novel by...