25 Book Reviews

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

A Fantastic Mennonite Mystery

                                         "Gathering Shadows"
              By Nancy Mehl

I must admit that I am a book addict!!! I just love all different genres of books! But every once in a while, you come across a certain novel that just jumps out at you and grabs your attention and won't let you escape its grasp, not even for food or sleep!! "Gathering Shadows" did this to me. I had previously read Nancy's series, "Road to Kingdom" and enjoyed it immensely, but this book even topped those books! A true mystery with just the right amount of romance! The first page of "Gathering Shadows" grabbed my attention and I could NOT put this book down. A nail biter, sit on the edge of your seat kind of mystery! A Mennonite mystery, with Christian values apparent throughout the story.

The main character, Wynter Evans is a young reporter for a television station in St. Louis, with a bright future awaiting her. However, a tragedy in her past, distracts her from her job. Her brother suddenly disappeared nine years ago. This has haunted her, as he was never found and the mystery never solved.  Wynter, unexpectedly comes across a photo of a boy with an eerie resemblance to him and simply can't pass up the chance to track him down. Using research as her cover, she sets out with the station's photographer to the place where the photo was taken, the small, strange town of Sanctuary.

Upon arriving in the town, EVERYONE knew she was there!! Meeting the town's young mayor, Rueben King, could be the best thing in Wynter's quest. Together, they begin to uncover secrets- hidden secrets that could destroy lives of those in Sanctuary if made public. Wynter discovers that her family's past hides in the shadows. SOMEONE will stop at nothing to  keep the answers she is  searching for hidden for ever- even her life!!

The characters drew me into the plot immediately. I felt their every fear, displeasure, intrigue and also joys. They became real people to me, with very real problems, my friends, with whom I could easily identify. 

There were many twists and turns throughout that kept me glued to my chair with book in hand. Around every corner was a new mystery or event that kept me guessing until the final chapter. Nancy Mehl does an outstanding  job of keeping you focused on the main plot, while you nervously bite your nails, wondering what will take place next. 
A truly intriguing book, one that would appeal to ALL!!

A five star book!! I cannot wait for Book two in the new series, "Finding Sanctuary".

This book was provided by the author and Bethany House , in exchange for  a fair and honest review.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Fantastic Read by One of My Favorite Authors, Vannetta Chapman!

An Amish Proposal for Christmas  By Vannetta Chapman Synopsis: Her deepest Christmas wish will bring more than she imagined…in this novel by...