25 Book Reviews

Friday, July 27, 2012

A Different Style Book from Jerry Eicher and hs wife Tina

"My Dearest Naomi"
By Jerry and Tina Eicher
  I have read each and every one of Jerry's wonderful Amish novels and have never been disappointed. He always catches my interest immediately and keeps it throughout the book. The romance and faith , challenges and heartaches and pure joy is exhibited in each one. This book was very unique. For one, the writing style was completely different.
 It is a series of letters written by Eugene Mast, an Amish gentleman who leaves his community for nine months to go and teach in a Mennonite area. He leaves his home in Indiana, as well as the love of his life, the beloved Naomi, the woman he is planning to marry, upon his return home. Sooo... the story is a compilation of letters written by Eugene and Naomi to each other during this time. I must admit , it took me a while to become interested in this . I am not one who enjoys reading letters. I prefer a pure fiction tale, as his previous books have been written.


However, as the story unfolds, through these letters, I began to feel a connection between the two young people. I felt as if I was a part of their very private lives and I believe this was the intent of the book. You do feel the romance, the love, loneliness that each of them  experiences during this long period . Does absence make the heart grow fonder? In this case, I am not sure that they ever had grown apart. The letters do make you think of a young couple who desperately miss one another and their very deep love for each other.  This book is based on fact and Jerry and Tina did go through this very sad separation period.
Overall, I did enjoy the book, but I must admit I prefer Jerry's other books. I did feel for the characters , however missed the exciting plots and twists and turns that his other books portray.


It is a well written book and many others will LOVE it. In fact, my sister in law can hardly wait to borrow it. So , it is a personal preference of mine to read pure fiction. This book certainly still portrays Jerry's talent of writing true romance. Keep writing , Jerry!! Love your books!

This book has been provided by the author and Harvest House in exchange for a fair and honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Fantastic Read by One of My Favorite Authors, Vannetta Chapman!

An Amish Proposal for Christmas  By Vannetta Chapman Synopsis: Her deepest Christmas wish will bring more than she imagined…in this novel by...